Week 8/9 Wrap-Up

As mentioned previously, from my perspective, this years format is working out smashingly… having had a few conversations over these past weeks where some of you have mentioned missing Upper Hutchinson and our 4 diamond home up there for so many years… know that if the day were to ever come where lights were installed on Upper, I’ve been promised that Thursday nights would revert back to us up there… that’s the dream… but in the meantime, we need 8 diamonds to make our format work and that’s only possible on Lower…

The primary issue this years format is probably causing most of you… is one of individual team attendance… for instance, we have a guy that went on vacation Wednesday before last and returned today… instead of having missed 2 games as would have been the case in all previous seasons… he missed a whopping 6 games, more than a third of the season… makes things tricky… if you’re missing a good player on triple-header Saturday, you’re missing him/her for 3 games instead of just 1… something to perhaps Captain differently in seasons to come or even moving forward this season… I’m considering adding a 14th player to the Dogz roster for instance where we’ve always carried no more than 13, gives me a better chance of staying out of the lurch…

On the diamonds last night in the Design League’s first ever double-header night in Grant Park… we saw 5 of 16 teams sweep… meeting the Reservoir Dogz in a battle for the 1-seed, Clune emerged with the 8-7 win on a walk-off in the bottom of 7 with a neon ball and no light to speak of… Clune off to the 7-0 start… Old Stylin’ showed that they once again have some meddle this season sweeping their 2 games as they flip-flopped with 1-1 Perkins & Will into the 3 seed and into a records tie with the Dogz… and they’ll get to play the Dogz next Thursday with a chance to climb yet another rung up the ladder…

Ruder Group bounced back from a disappointing Triple-Header Saturday to take both of their games yesterday as well jumping all the way back up to the 5 seed… as did VOA with wins over P&W and SOM to move into the 6th seed… and last but never least, SCB… another team I feel capable of big things bounced back from dropping 3 as well last Saturday to take both of their games over theBuzz and Thornton-Tomasetti

Also wanted everyone to know that I noticed all the late games playing into darkness and I also noticed that no games played on our 8 diamonds prior to our 6:30 start… I’ve got an email in to CPD asking whether we can expect the same situation moving forward… if so, we might slide starting times back to 6 or 6:15… if not, we’re going to have to focus harder on starting those earlier games more promptly… while I need to do a better job of blowing the horn on time… as we need to get those second games started sooner. By my perception 8:40 last night seemed to be the cut-off line… a work in progress though, so we’ll work together to improve that…

All for now… same deal next Thursday… and please remember to start fleshing out your rosters for the July 19th Tournament as well as the July 20th rain date… both scheduled for Upper Hutchinson…

Have great weekends…

Post a Comment