Monthly Archive
for: ‘August, 2012’

2012 Regular Season Wraps

So everything is in the books… much faster than I would ever have expected with Upper Hutchinson being damaged by Lollapalooza once again this year. With 9 forfeits over the last 3 weeks though, it’s clear that everyone would prefer to be in Grant Park… but most definitely the best resolution we could have hoped for considering. We’ll see what we can do to tighten this post-Lollapalooza situation up for next season. There will be a post on the topic once we get the Tournament in the books.

Last nights doubleheaders provided what would become very little movement on the Leaderboard resulting in only 4 teams changing brackets… so the Tournament match-ups are set. With more time this year between yesterday’s conclusion of the regular season and the Tournament, we can relax a little… there will be a Tournament Info post to the Forum sometime over the next week once I have time to get the web all updated in advance of Super Saturday. I’m also working on confirming some diamonds for optional team practices on September 13th… the 20th… or both… and for those of you wondering why we have a 3 week break now… that just comes down to a confluence of many events… which Saturdays were available in Grant Park… the need to push the Tournament later to leave time to properly resolve the regular season not knowing what the post-Lolla landscape was going to be back in March… and finally, we got really lucky with the availability of Lincoln Park as well as the cooperation of the weather… otherwise, we’d still be playing over the next two Thursdays… so there’s your answer.

And last, congratulations for the second year running to the Dobbins Group who held off a much tougher challenge this year to head into the Tournament with the #1 seed once again. They had to beat #3 seeded Ruder Group last night to do it and they got it done 12-6. Over their first two years in the league they have an incredible 26-1-1 record during the regular season with that only loss coming at the hands of SCB who coincidentally has landed in their bracket this Tournament Day. And one last aspect of their season definitely worth recognition is they finished the season with the league’s best offense scoring exactly 200 runs which beat the previous record of 181 runs scored by the ’08 Dogz Squad… The Reservoir Dogz finished this season with the league’s best defense allowing only 63 runs to cross the plate, 18 runs better than Ruder Groups 2nd ranked defense.

And if you’re wondering about the picture at the top of this post… Power Construction was the last team to be photographed this year and we got that done last night… thanks to each and every team for your cooperation on this front and remember, I’m willing to re-take your team picture on Tournament Day if you feel you’ll be better represented on the 22nd… remember that these pictures are an archive, the more faces you have in yours the better down the road when you choose to look back. As part of the Tournament Post that will be coming soon, a .PDF will be provided for your printing pleasure that documents all teams pictures and rosters, this to have on hand Tournament Day to resolve any eligible player disputes.

All for now, standby for that Tournament update and everyone have a great holiday weekend.

Week 13/14 Update.

So what did everybody think?

Granted, we all wish we would never have to leave Grant Park… more specifically that Lollapalooza was still in Chicago, but held at a location that WASN’T Grant Park… but if we can’t have either of those things… Doubleheader nights under the lights at Lincoln Park is a pretty cool consolation prize. Looking around last night there was some pretty competitive softball being played… lots of great plays on the diamonds.

One such play happened in the Gettys/Cannon game where Gettys pulled off a triple play the hard way as I heard it… men on 1st and 2nd, no outs and a liner to 3rd… caught for the first out, thrown across the diamond to 1st catching that runner off the base for the second out… while the runner on 2nd then tried to advance to 3rd which was countered with another cross-diamond throw back to 3rd for the tagged third out… pretty impressive. Feel free to hit up the comment section for the input of any fantastic plays that may have happened in your games.

The one thing I figured out from yesterday’s action was that games on the hour weren’t really working… there were a lot of shortened games in the early time slot due to players getting to the fields late… after the second horn I started shifting the sounding of the horn up some minutes to try and compensate for this… I was relatively successful I think but next week I’m going to attempt to evolve and make things a little better… I need to communicate with the LP Rep early next week to first make sure the lights are going to stay on until 11:05 as I was told… last night they went off at 10:45 but all our games had finished and I suspect that someone live and in person saw that and cut them off manually… for next week I want to schedule hour and 10 minute games in all 4 slots, i.e. 6 PM, 7:10, 8:20 and 9:30… I just need to verify that we can have light until 11:05… so standby for news on this the beginning of next week.

So if rain doesn’t bother us next week we’ll conclude our slate of regular season games… if you look at the Leaderboard there might be some focus up at the top where a lot of movement is still possible. This would seem to hinge on the fortuitous (for the league) Ruder Group @ Dobbins match-up in the first half of the doubleheader… I’ll let you do the math on what could come of this, but there’s many possibilities.

That said, perhaps a lot more significant to Tournament Day will be how the Leaderboard untangles further down the stack… we have Gettys and theBuzz knotted up, as are P&W and CannonJC Anderson and Power are neck and neck as are SCB and Kelso-Burnett… but none of these teams are actually playing each other… so lots can happen over a 2-game span, I can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

Regarding next weeks schedule which has now posted to the website… in terms of teams that need to play early and late with 2 games in-between… the best I could do is 3 of our 16 teams in this situation… although I was able to make sure that the 3 teams that had this scenario yesterday, don’t have to do that again. So thanks to Old Stylin’, VOA and Gettys Group for doing it yesterday… and sorry to Clune, Cannon and Goettsch who’ll have to do it next week.

And one final note… the page on the website documenting Tournament Brackets is now up and live… of course it doesn’t mean much until next weeks games get played… but it gets you thinking about the possibilities.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Week 12 Update + Important Info

I’ll start with the most important information I need to get out to everyone which is the Design League will be playing double-headers for the next 2 weeks (08/23 & 08/30). At first I thought I could arrange things where teams would play at 6 & 8 or 7 & 9… but upon closer examination, there’s no way to accomplish this unless the match-ups are chosen at the beginning of the season before any games are played… so unfortunately some teams will have back-to-back games and others will have to play at 6 & 9 with a two hour break in-between… Not ideal I know, but hopefully we can all just bare with it for two weeks as this will wrap up the regular season if the weather doesn’t get in our way. The Schedule has updated on the web for August 23rd… but I haven’t yet touched August 30th as we need to go 1 week at a time here.

I understand that taking up residency in Lincoln Park and throwing in the new later starting times will jam some people up… but I would ask our Captains to go above and beyond to ensure they field a team for all 4 games over the next two weeks, it would be a shame if the forfeit situation that went down last night were to be repeated. Yesterdays forfeits are not being held against any team that forfeited… but moving forward they will be held against you as 1 week should be sufficient notice of the alternate scheduling. If you have any questions, be sure to post them to the comments section of this post.

Game Day Update

Last night on the diamonds was a wild and wooly one with no shortage of runs being scored… this mostly due to a lot of standing water and mushy dirt which didn’t allow the defenses to get a foothold… there was also having to get used to the lights which are not uniform on every diamond, but rather at different places around the field causing changing lighting conditions from diamond to diamond. Assuming dryer dirt next week though… it should be pretty nice out there once the water burns off.

Perkins&Will and SCB really went at it see-sawing back and forth to an eventual 17-16 win by P&W… while on Diamond 1 Old Stylin’ opened the flood gates on SOM to the tune of 29-14… 43 runs scored in a 7 inning softball game… holy shit.

The battle of the night though was on Diamond 5 where VOA and Dobbins Group battled for 1st Place… In this one VOA jumped out to a 4-run lead after 1… but as they’ve shown time and again… you can never count Dobbins Group out… trailing 8-6 after 6… they put up 3 in the top of the 7th to take a 1-run lead… in the bottom half of the inning VOA managed to load the bases with 2 outs setting the stage for a walk-off victory… but DG induced the infield pop-out that ended the game regaining the 1-seed that they lost to VOA a few weeks back.

Some Thoughts on the Future of the Design League

When I put it out there earlier this week that I might explore a permanent move to Lincoln Park… the backlash was quick and overwhelmingly in favor of doing whatever had to be done to stay in Grant Park… at least for the pre-Lolla portion of the season and for the Tournament. After spending last night out at Lincoln Park, I would have to agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly… it’s not that Lincoln Park is bad, in fact I think it will be really cool to play there over the next few weeks during our limited residency, but Grant Park, particularly Upper Hutchinson, feels like home… it is our home… and we’ll do whatever we need to moving forward to maintain our place there.

That said… Lollapalooza is here for the next decade or so at least… it’s an immovable object that’s not going anywhere and so we need to plan around it in a manner where we never again sustain the type of night we had yesterday… 5 forfeits is unacceptable… all I could think about was the 5 teams that were ready to play, including my own, that instead had to stay home after being off for a month… it’s hard to believe that happened considering I was telling everyone to plan on playing all along… plus we all had the same experience last year post-Lolla and the rescheduling situation was much worse, last year we only had 2 forfeits.

One way or another the League will launch with a disclaimer next season… the post-Lolla expectation will be laid out in March and if a team doesn’t think it can be adaptable to a volatile week or two following the break… they probably shouldn’t play in this league any longer… forfeits at this point in the schedule are simply too unfair to the teams that are ready to play but don’t get the chance. Positioning can end up very important on Tournament Day and the way to gain or lose it is by playing the games. Forfeits are poison and a goal for next year will be to get the number of them back down under 5… you can tell I’m bothered by the 10 we’re already carrying this regular season…. poison.

But that rant aside, I’ve heard rumors that the Park District may try to add lights, at least to Lower Hutchinson sort of piggy-backing the need on the back of the problems that keep occurring in the Lollapalooza set-up and take-down… if that were to end up happening it might bode very well for us as the time needed by C3 before and after the festival would be reduced as crews could work around the clock… it might also give us some better rescheduling flexibility post-Lolla on Lower Hutchinson… optimistic thinking I know, but you never know what might happen.

At the end of the day though… this is our new reality… so continuing to play in the Design League will come to mean that you understand the obstacle course that the end of the regular season has become and you’re willing to deal with it… without forfeiting.

Give it some thought… and feel free to express your opinion by leaving a comment on this post.

Doubleheaders NEXT WEEK.

Mark your calendars.