Monthly Archive
for: ‘July, 2012’

Week 10 Update + Special News For This Week

So my Forum updates have been a little sporadic here of late… for that I apologize… my business is running at capacity which has never happened over the Summer before… so I’m struggling a little to keep up with the stuff I don’t get paid for… priorities being what they are… but please read through to the end of this post as there’s important info on things being done a little differently this week that everyone needs to know…

Anyway… big week on the diamonds last week in terms of two upsets… one pretty big… one historic… both happened in the early game time slot. The first saw Clune Construction knocking off the Ruder Group by an incredible 16-15 score… Not sure of the line score… but you figure it was an interesting one… at 5-3-1 this year in addition to the fact that they’ve been such a good team for so long… it’s hard to say Clune ‘upset’ another team, but in the context of this regular season thus far… it was a huge win for Clune and a tough loss for the Ruder Group… so there’s a significance there… but if history is any teacher, this game ends up just a prelude to another long Ruder Group winning streak… we’ll see…

And now the other upset I referred to… which is most definitely an upset in every sense of the word as it was a 3-4-1 SCB squad becoming the first team in the season and a half history of the Dobbins Group… to hand them a regular season loss… the final score ended up 11-10 in an also incredible 9 inning game. Trailing 7-4 going into the 6th… Dobbins put up a 4 spot to take an 8-7 lead. Failing to score in the bottom half of the 6th, SCB held Dobbins scoreless in the top of the 7th to get to the bottom half of the inning trailing by just 1. With 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th, SCB squeezed one across to send the game to extras. Dobbins then scored 1 in the top of the 8th which was answered with one from SCB in the bottom half… Dobbins scored a single tally again in the top of the 9th, but then in the bottom half of the inning SCB went 1st and 3rd with no outs, which inevitably led to a victory of the walk-off variety as SCB got the game winning base hit with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.

Hopefully Dobbins Group doesn’t feel as though I’m making too big a deal about this… but as much as I’ve praised them for their prowess over the course of the last season and a half… I feel it’s important now to praise SCB who has come a long way in terms of getting better since they rejoined the Design League… coincidentally the same time Dobbins joined the league at the start of the 2011 season. Kudos.

Important Info About This Week’s Last Game Day Preceding Lollapalooza

Due to circumstances beyond my control… I’ll be leaving on vacation this week Thursday morning and thus, won’t be on the diamonds this Thursday for the first time in 6 years. In my absence, my Dogz co-Captain Bill Winczner will be your contact on the diamonds… his contact info can be found here. He’ll blow the horn at the appropriate times and I suppose answer any questions any of you have…. but as most Thursdays find no such issues arising… I’m hoping that blowing the horn will be all he’ll have to do. He doesn’t have a key to the Grant Park boxes but I’ve got an email in to our CPD rep asking that she double check that home plates are available outside of the boxes… other than that… play nice and try not to have any problems this week ;-)

On Wednesday night I’m going to send out the email requesting your final scores from Thursdays games a day early… simply let that sit in your inbox until games are over and then PLEASE, don’t forget to reply to it come Friday morning. There will be no update to the website until I return from vacation on the 28th… but assuming all those scores are in, I’ll get it done as soon as I return.

About the Game Day Scheduled for September 13th

The Judicata Race for 2012 will be happening on Upper Hutchinson on September 13th… the plan is that the games for that day would be played on Lower… but as I don’t have to tell any of you… God knows what the field conditions will be post-Lolla. In the event that Lower is unplayable on 09/13, games for that day will be pushed to the following week on 09/20 back on Upper… if this makeup week CAN be played on Lower on 09/13… then 09/22 remains available for either the re-scheduling of a future rain out week… or as a practice day directly leading into the Tournament… just wanted to make everyone aware of the situation.

If you have any questions, let me know… otherwise you’ll be hearing from me again around the beginning of August.