Monthly Archive
for: ‘June, 2010’

Week 7 Update.

So we’re down to one in terms of undefeated teams as Clune drops their first to the Reservoir Dogz 9-2. REX Electric holds on to their own undefeated record courtesy of a 7-6 nail biter over Power in a game that I heard they were down 6-1 in… which gives just a bit more credence to their viability as they hung in and kept battling. Next team with a shot at REX is Old Stylin’… that’ll happen in an early game on Diamond 4 next week. Right about now they should start feeling the pressure of every opponent gunning for them… it’s a long road to an undefeated season, I wish them the best of luck… but courtesy of our Week 2 rain out, the Dogz will be waiting for them in Week 16 if they’re able to hold off the challengers until then ;-)

In other action, Old Stylin’ and Getty’s battled 9 innings and settled for a 4-4 tie. Old Stylin’ seems to be getting their competitiveness rolling, two straight games of fighting it out hard… And Cannon handed theBuzz the same 3-0 loss that theBuzz put on JC Anderson last week. Scoring 3 and allowing 3 over two games is an anomaly in our league of high scoring games… theBuzz matches up with VOA next week, look for some fireworks there.

Busy week for pictures next week as things continue to roll along on that front… Old Stylin’ and REX before their 6 o’clock game and the STV team picture before their 7:15 game.

Week 6 Update.

So REX Electric appears to be for real for all the doubters out there… In last years Tournament they were the one glitch in an otherwise perfect season for the Ruder Group and came very close to knocking the team that ended up winning it all out of the Final Four… I remember thinking that that was a win that you could build some momentum from… and they certainly have. Now at 5-0 with an amazing 11 runs allowed, it becomes increasingly hard not to take them for real as they are one of our last two unbeaten teams along with Clune Construction… next to get a shot at them is Power Construction. And for our four new teams this season… take inspiration, this is only the second full season for REX Electric.

As for Clune Construction, there off to their usual winning ways for the regular season… next week their perfect record runs up against a Reservoir Dogz team riding a 4-game winning streak… all the possible outcomes… let’s hope the weather continues to cooperate… it has been a pretty great Summer weather-wise so far…

In other action yesterday… congrats to Old Stylin’ who jumps off the snide with their first win of the season 13-6 over Goettsch… and to theBuzz with a neat 3-0 win over JCA to move into a virtual dead heat for the 3-seed.

Pictures next week will be just Goettsch… before their 6 o’clock game on Diamond 4.

Site Adds History & Gets a Fresh Paint Job

Time flies when you’re procrastinating… Turns out its been two years and four months since the Design League site was re-designed. Back in February of ’08 I worked until I just got sick of working on it… I took some notes on what still had to be done and rolled on. I’ve just now gotten back to some of those things and it’s amazing that it has been more than two years… But I realized in the process why I was procrastinating…

Getting the history up from the early years was a bit more tedious as the way we did things back then was different… the format for the Tournament was different, runs scored trumped runs allowed and there weren’t any team or captains pictures… so the teams menu disappears from 2001-2003. For those of you old timers out there, having a look back at what the website looked like back then might be interesting… the following links will only be live for a while as I will soon tear down that old, long vacant web neighborhood, but in the meantime, take a trip in the wayback machine; 2001, 2002, 2003… For the rest of you, the years 2001-2003 are now available under the HISTORY menu of the main site.

You’ll also notice that the graphics; masthead, footer and background have been updated site wide… Same idea, but more how I envisioned things back in ’08 now… The image for the masthead was taken last week of the South Michigan Avenue skyline from the fence behind Diamond 2. The image for the footer is of 1st base on Diamond 1, also taken last week. The sky in the background is a stock image as the sky rarely looks like that in Chicago ;-)

Still in the works will be a page that documents all-time records for the Design League teams. Other than that, the site is at the point I was hoping to get it to. Hope you like it.

Week 5 Update.

Pretty awesome weather out on the diamonds last night… and the first week where the late games truly had enough light to finish up illuminated… so the heart of the Summer is upon us. Unexplainable traffic and different events hung a light pall over yesterday’s games as well… a lot of people had a hard time making their way to the diamonds… Power Constructions forfeit (by the way) was done properly over a week in advance. This was due to an annual company event… last year we were able to swing a makeup game as we had only the 14 teams, but this year, we were all booked up.

We saw both Ruder Group and theBuzz fall from the ranks of the undefeated… leaving only REX Electric and Clune Construction to carry that no loss pressure at 4-0. Clune meets Kelso-Burnett and REX will run into Ruder Group next week… will another fall? 7 days will give us our answers.

REX Electrics win yesterday was a close 6-5 win over Goettsch while both Gettys Group and Perkins&Will eaked out 2-run wins in what appears to be great games… and perhaps most surprising was that SOM vs. STV ended in an 11-11 tie after 8 innings. I wrote to the SOM Captain that I’m always happy to see winless teams meet as it almost always results in one team picking up a win… but they figured out how to keep things within the 1% of the time category… one way or another it was a game that involved a lot of subs and probably wasn’t a true representation of either team, but they both live to fight another day.

Still looking for the following Captains to opt-in to this Forum’s mailing list (you can do so over to the right); Jason Bramhall & Dan Pierce (Gettys), Sal Pintauro (REX Electric), Matt Ruder (Ruder Group) and Sheldon Hall (STV). If you 5 could do this sooner rather than later you’ll avoid the assault on your inbox that I’ll be unleashing first thing Monday morning.

Pictures are moving along fine… scheduled for next week will be Perkins&Will before their 6 o’clock game and Kelso-Burnett before their 7:15 game… I’ll also be heading over to Diamond 1 around 7 o’clock looking for Power Constructions Jake Basten.

See everyone next week.

Two New Important Rule Changes.

At issue today are two rules, A7 & C5. I’ve already seen misinterpretations of both of these rules in two games of my own, another where I was filling in as well as receiving (3) emails from games I didn’t see over the last week regarding these same two rules… So it’s time to clarify them some more.

First we’ll deal with the easier of the two which is Rule A7, this rule previously read;

All overthrows on the bases warrant (1) extra base. The ball is ruled dead and no play will follow.

Lines have been added and the rule now reads;

All overthrows on the bases warrant (1) extra base. The ball is ruled dead and no play will follow. Overthrows are defined as a throw that’s “airmailed” to a base heading off into foul territory at least 15 feet beyond fair territory. Thus, overthrows that merely reach the grass beyond 1st and 3rd base do not automatically award the baserunner an extra base.

To get to the 15 foot number I laid a tape measure out and determined a distance I feel that within… the defensive player still has a reasonable chance at making a play on an advancing runner. Beyond that, advancement is automatic. This now more clearly defines the spirit of the rule.

Second on the agenda is Rule C5, which previously read;

Rule Concerning Plays at Bases; The defensive teams fielders must concede any base to the runner if there is no play imminent, he/she must also avoid any unnecessary contact. If a play at any given base IS a possibility then the defensive player has the right to position themselves at the base to make a play and any incoming runners should avoid all unnecessary (or intentional) contact. Sliding, assuming the slide doesn’t cause an unnecessary collision in itself, is often the best possible way to remove all doubt as to whether interference occured, slide… and you didn’t interfere. The EXCEPTION to this rule is at 1st Base where the runner’s intent is to run ‘through’ the base and sometimes in an attempt to receive a cross-infield throw, a 1st Baseman is drawn into the basepath of the oncoming runner. As this dual-instinct is impossible to author a rule against, both fielder and runner should exercise self-preservation to the best of their ability. No interference should be called at 1st base.

This one is a bit trickier… the spirit or essence of the rule is that collisions, intentional or otherwise, are NOT allowed. That said, these other factors must be taken into consideration; (a) there will be plays at bases, the defensive player has the right to attempt a play and the offensive player has the right to attempt to reach safely. (b) Players cannot be mandated to slide, we removed that from the rules 2 or 3 years ago as an unfair requirement. And (c), as are the rules of baseball at most levels, the defensive player must retain possession of the ball to record an out… So here’s how the rule has been changed to read;

Rule Concerning Plays at Bases; The defensive teams fielders must concede any base to the runner if there is no play imminent. If a play at any given base IS a possibility then the defensive player has the right to position themselves at the base to make a play and any incoming runner has the right to attempt to reach the base safely, however; head-on collisions or any attempt by the baserunner to knock the ball free from the defensive players hands are NOT allowed and will result in the baserunner being called out. Contact that is glancing or sideswiping however, IS permitted under the rules and in this second circumstance, the defensive player must retain possession of the ball to record an out. Sliding is often the best possible way to remove all doubt as to whether interference occurred… Slide, and you didn’t interfere.

An EXCEPTION to this rule is at 1st Base where the runner’s intent is to run ‘through’ the base and sometimes in an attempt to receive a cross-infield throw, a 1st Baseman is drawn into the basepath of the oncoming runner. As this dual-instinct is impossible to author a rule against, both fielder and runner should exercise self-preservation to the best of their ability. No interference should be called at 1st base.

So as the rule is now written, what is at issue on the field is whether or not there was a collision on any given play… and for a smaller percentage of those plays, whether or not a runner intentionally tried to knock a ball out of a defensive players hands… beyond that, everything else is legal.

In reality, it’s truly difficult to mitigate a play at the plate, or at any base for that matter…. no matter how much “in social mode” any team might be in for any given game, we’re still playing baseball and certain plays in baseball involve contact. My advice would be that if you’re adverse to this contact, don’t put yourself in that situation in the first place. Playing 1st base for my own team, where our catcher is not really interested in any contact, I’m always the one covering home for plays at the plate.

IMPORTANT > This sort of post was exactly why I’ve wanted to switch to this new blog-style format for a while. The rules in question here have already been changed… but that doesn’t mean that they can’t be changed again if one of you were to offer up an unthought of idea, something that’s been overlooked, a more succinct wording, etc. Use the comment box below to post your thoughts…

In the meantime, the web as well as the printable version of the rules have updated… these rule updates are in effect for all games moving forward… feel free to print out a fresh copy for your bat bags.

The Forum Changes Format.

So as of today, I’m retiring the “forum” format we’ve had on the site for past 3 years and replacing it with the “blog” format you see here now. The desire is for a centralized source of information as well as fostering an active community forum where everyone can comment, have a voice and be heard.

From a functionality standpoint, the forum that we’ve had online for the last 3 years was better suited for ‘two-way communication’ unfortunately… but it required posters to register, attracted too much spam and just wasn’t being used… a little bit in the beginning by a handful of people and then it sort of fizzled out. Moving to a blogging format makes information easier to get out and easier to comment on… so I have high hopes.

Examples of what I’ll be posting here are the weekly updates, any rule discussions, changes or updates… miscellaneous game day issues that arise, general league info… I’m also open to suggestions for posts… Also, I’m thinking it will be a great place to incorporate pictures.

And here’s where the ‘community’ part comes in… every post can be commented on…and I’m encouraging all of the Captains to forward the email that got you here on to all the members of your teams so that it can be open to all. Anyone interested in being notified when there’s a new post to this Forum can submit their email address to the Mailing List on the right-side of this page… This will make the conversation much more lively plus I know for a fact that there’s a lot of great baseball minds in the ranks that aren’t necessarily Captains. I’m also open to giving ‘contributor’ status to select members so that they can post to this forum on their own… This would be great in fact.

Here in the beginning it’ll be about getting the word out and getting everyone used to stopping by here for their info. Initially, I’m going to leave things on the honor system requiring no ‘registration’ in order to post a comment, only name and email will be required. No ANONYMOUS or GMAIL ALIAS comments, they’ll be caught by the SPAM filter anyway… but if those started to become prevalent, I’d be forced to require commenters to register and log-in before posting and that’ll ruin everything. So please, keep things up front and on the record.

The design of this area will customize over time… I’m not able to spend a lot of time on that right now and I didn’t want to procrastinate in getting things up and running… so here it is… feel free to comment on any post by clicking the “Comment” link near the top of every post…